Bond/Tack Coats and Primers
In order to improve the bond between layers of pavement a bond coat should be applied. A bond coat is very inexpensive insurance to make sure there is structural integrity between the pavement layers. There are many different types of emulsions used in bond coating.
Features and Benefits
- Prevents de-bonding of the HMA layers.
- Prevents mat slippage and reduces top-down cracking.
- Enables superimposed lifts to act as a monolithic layer, thus increasing the overall structural capacity of the roadway.
- Aids in the increasing of mat density during rolling operations due to decreased slippage/forward movement of the HMA being rolled.
- Increased pavement life and decreased life cycle cost.
- Small cost versus the benefit.
Discover the MCA Advantage - Asphalt EmulsionDOWNLOAD PDF
Bond/Tack Coats and Primers Fact SheetDOWNLOAD PDF